Monday, November 17, 2008

Bethany

Dr. Stewart took Dr. Patey and I to visit Bethany. We walked through the main part of the Kijabe hospital toward the Bethany Kids wing. I had seen the photos for years from Dr. Stewart, and even used some in the presentation Mr. Oswald and I used when we introduced the Lenten project last February in our gymnasium. However, I was not prepared for what I was about to witness.

We walked into the main hallway and Dr. Stewart pointed out rooms to the left and right where mothers were dressed in the same pink smocks as their children who were there for surgery. While the children are in the hospital, mothers (and some fathers) move into the hospital with their child to be together for the whole process. In the first two rooms we looked into, there were four beds, each with a small child with hydrocephalus or spina bifida. As Dr. Stewart lead us around the first part of the ward, he explained how beds and space was getting tight and how they had planned to increase the number of beds through expansion. We walked out into a courtyard and he explained where the expansion could be by pointing to the external walls. There is a small green tent set up in the middle of the courtyard in which is the ‘office’ of Bethany’s chaplain appropriately named Mercy. Dr. Stewart promised me a chance to chat with her later in the week. We walked along a path through the courtyard where laundry was hanging (the mothers do theirs and their children’s own laundry there) and then back into the hospital through another set of double doors.

Dr. Stewart explained how when they had maximized capacity in the original wing years ago they needed to expand within the existing Kijabe hospital so they purchased more space from what used to be a portion of the maternity wing. We walked into this new wing into a room filled with hospital beds portioned around the room carefully side by side and lengthways like a hospital bed jigsaw puzzle. Mothers stood over their children’s bed in their pink hospital smocks tending to their children. I watched a mother stand rocking back and forth as she gently rubbed the back of her tiny son while a tube drained fluid from his swollen head. A father and son sat beside one another on a chair, the boy’s legs bandaged and under-developed. We moved into the next room and saw nine or more beds in a room that was clearly meant for no more than three. Each bed had a child lying in it and a mother in a matching pink smock sitting beside them.

As we walked back through the room and out the way we came in, one of the boys with a swollen skull from hydrocephalus and tubes draining fluid began to cry as his mother tended to him at the side of the bed. I am having a diffcult time writing this because it was a powerful experience. It has strengthened my resolve to do whatever possible to help these unbelievable doctors to carry out their mission to help these children who so desperately need it. They are doing everything they can to accommodate and work with the resources they have. I will take photos on Tuesday when I am back again for a surgery and rounds with the doctors. It also serves as a reminder of how worthy all of the work at St. Vincent has been for these children. They will benefit from your support.

I was at Joytown today visiting the school and children there and also at another school run by Feed the Children (the group that we donated our Halloween Candy to this year). They are a contrast in facilities and dignity and so much to process. I look forward to sharing more in my next post along with some photos.

The photos that are showing in the slide show on the right have been updated and include many of my shots from these first few days. They scroll through, but you can also click on the pictures to move them along. I was obviously fascinated with the markets on the side of the road so there are many pictures of them. I have also been talking about Pierre, Noel, Dr. Stewart and Dr. Patey a lot and there are one or two posed shots of them as well.

I've recieved two posts so far! Thanks for your support and comments. I hope these notes find everyone well back in Canada.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story and pictures today were very poignant...we forgot so easily what people have to face each and every day just to live. thanks for sharing so much. You are in our thoughts and prayers all day long.

Unknown said...

Hi Brendan ...what an experience this is for you. Thanks for sharing it with us .
God bless these poor parents and their sick little children.

Mr. Browne said...

Thanks for your note and support. I am trying to get as many photos on as I can but the internet connections here are not as at home so one photo takes a while sometimes. I will continue to do my best to describe! Thanks for posting your comments. I'm glad to know people are reading. These last two days have been incredible and I am trying to figure out how to write about them. I will try tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that the children at St. Vincent will get to hear first hand how the children at Bethany benefit from St. V's support. We are deeply grateful for your sharing and your compassion. You are in our prayers and we pray for these precious children. Return safely to us.

Danielle Leonard said...

I saw your photos. I liked them. I want to visit Kenya one day, too, to see what it's like. Are you enjoying your trip?
Bye,
J-D Leonard (and Mom)

Annie Johnson said...

Hello Mr Browne, You are probably sleeping now, I have just had dinner.
I really like to see the photos of the kids smiling and playing. We all miss you at school.It snowed today.
From Annie-Rose

anonymous said...

Mr. Browne,
We see sights, we hear the cries and we know the suffering. We seldom recognize the opportunity to see it ourselves. Your daily letters serve as a conduit for change, positive change that is meant to nourish the soul and provide comfort for the heart. If the spirit is to truly live we must adopt and accept responsibility that we live in a world where our neighbour is the family half way across the globe. For by giving to our neighbour selflessly, we shall save ourselves.
Anonymous

Mr. Browne said...

Wow. I am deeply grateful for your comments and encouragement. There has been a lot to process in the last few days. My most recnetly posting about the school for disabled children and the turnaround at the orphanage show the desperate conditions that some students are in, and the hope that change can be made with the right direction, focus, and means. I am so grateful for the support, thoughts, and prayers from everyone at home. Sorry to hear about the snow though...

Bryanna Biffis said...

You are really nice to the children. Please let me know how I can help when you get back. thank you for you pictures and stories today. Bryanna Biffis 2S

Mr. Browne said...

Thanks Brianna. I really appreciate your note and offer of help! Sorry I didn't write back to you until now. I didn't go back to read old posts until today. I hope you enjoyed reading the blog this week. See you at school.