Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Planning for the Journey

Travelling to a country like Kenya requires more than simply booking an airline ticket. As is the case with most countries in Africa, precautionary vaccinations are required months before departing. To get ready for my trip to Kenya, I went to visit my doctor to find out what medication I should take to keep myself safe. I received shots to protect me from hepatitis, yellow fever, tetanus, typhoid, and have pills to take for the prevention of malaria.

Malaria is a disease which is usually passed to humans through mosquitoes. There is a large movement to equip houses across Africa with mosquito nets for sleeping at night. These nets hang from the ceiling over each bed and stretch to the floor. The net is fine enough to keep mosquitoes out, while letting air in. Recent research has shown that the increased use of mosquito nets around Africa have begun to significantly reduce the number of incidents of malaria. While I am there, I will be similarly sleeping under a mosquito net. I will take a photo of the mosquito net and post it on this blog once I arrive. For more information on how mosquito nets are making a positive impact in Africa, check out the Unicef site at http://www.unicef.org/health/index_26163.html or google ‘mosquito nets in Africa’.

Along with the vaccinations I received already, other precautions include mosquito repellent with deet to protect me from mosquitoes during the day, breathable clothing, a hat to protect me from the sun (my TFC hat!), and sunscreen. Kenya is an equatorial country meaning it is located very close to the equator. If you can imagine how intense the sun can be in Oakville in the summer, you can probably imagine how intense the sun’s rays can be right on the equator. I will be packing enough sunscreen to keep my skin protected while in Kenya.

I am making this journey with Dr. Ivan Stewart, Chair of Bethany Kids Hospital (and my father-in-law) and Dr. Greg Patey. Together, the three of us will be bringing two respirators for the hospital, drugs for the surgeries, computers for the hospital, and items donated from the St. Vincent community including books, pencils, pencil crayons, Canada pens, stickers, and balls, and soccer balls which have been flattened to fit into my suitcase. I look forward bringing these items over to share with the children there some things from Canada.

The journey itself begins at the airport in Toronto. We fly from Toronto to London, a flight of approximately 6.5 hours. From London, we fly directly to Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. The flight from London to Nairobi will take approximately 10 hours. From Nairobi, we will drive an hour north west into the mountains to Bethany Kids Hospital in Kijabe. May bags are packed, precautions taken, and I am looking forward to the journey to Kenya. Stay tuned to this site for updates as the departure approaches and when I am in Africa!

No comments: