Monday, November 10, 2008

Support from the St. Vincent Students and Community

Since we introduced our Lenten initiative last year and challenged our students and community to contribute to the important work the doctors are doing at Bethany, I have been amazed by the support, encouragement, and creativity of our school community.

During Lent last year, as mentioned in my first posting, a grade 6 student hosted a birthday party and asked for donations in lieu of gifts. That act of selflessness and consideration of service to others was extremely encouraging as we attempted to plant the seeds of service and philanthropy in our students. That act made me realize that we were making an impact and our students were beginning to see the world and begin to ask “how can I make a difference?” Parental support was similarly inspiring as a parent hosted jewelry sale in support of our initiative. Our Lenten fundraiser was a resounding success because of our community commitment.

When I accepted the invitation to travel to Bethany, the generosity of the community became apparent again. In addition to sincere support and best wishes, parents asked “how can we help?” From a school perspective, we decided that I would carry as many books, colouring books, pencils, pencil crayons, and school items as I could. I even received size 3, 4, and 5 soccer balls which I have flattened and packed into my suitcase. I look forward to sharing these items with the children at the hospital and the local school in Kijabe.

I continue to be amazed by our students at St. Vincent and I am delighted that this journey has inspired our students to take on some amazing initiatives. During the month of October, five Grade 5 boys organized a yard sale on their own and presented me with their earnings: $53.37. A Grade 2 student hosted a birthday party at which she asked for donations instead of gifts for herself. She was able to purchase a goat for a community, clean drinking water, and donated the rest to the children at Bethany.

More recently, I was invited into Mrs. Becker’s Gr. 5 class today to hear about some of them. The class organized a ‘Crazy Hair Day’ in for the group last week and raised $28. Two students organized a hot chocolate stand in front of their house on the weekend and raised $82. Other students from the class came up with the idea to sell pizza to high school students and set up a ‘pizza stand’ at their house across the street from the local high school and raised $100. Finally, another group of students hosted a garage sale outside their house on the weekend at which they also sold baked goods and raised a total of $400! Staff and parents have also contributed to Bethany and I am honoured to bring their contributions over with me to present personally.

We did not ask for money, books, crayons, balls, pencil crayons, or markers before departing, and that is the most amazing aspect to these contributions. Our students’ and parents’ support came from a genuine desire to support the journey and the children in Kenya. This encouragement will be with me as I visit Bethany and I look forward to sharing the experiences using this blog and when I return.

No comments: