Monday, November 1, 2010

Bags are Packed!

The St. Vincent Community has been, as always, so supportive and generous when it comes to Bethany Kids Hospital. The three bags in this photo are filled with donations from the community for me to bring over to Kenya with me. When I went two years ago, simple items such as crayons, books, balls, and bibles made an enormous impact on the children who were waiting for surgery or recovering. When I announced that I was returning to Bethany, the support from the staff, students, and teachers was immediate and tremendous. I have received crayons, markers, colouring bokos, reading books, deflated soccer balls (and a pump!), toy cars, as well as IV equipment and surgical gowns and even the hockey bags themsevles. I was also thrilled to receive so many soft cover bibles, and one parent went so far as to special order two bibles in Swahili! The generosity is overwhelming and so appreciated. Having British Airways wave the weight restrictions on my bags is also appreciated! I am heading over with the bare minimum in terms of clothing - so don't be surprised if I'm wearing the same shirt in multiple photos - so I can bring as many medical and school supplies as possible. Thanks for your support! I'm leaving later today and will be landing in London, England tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. From London, I fly to Nairobi during the day on Tuesday landing there late Tuesday night. For more information on Kenya, Bethany, or some interesting facts about Kenya - which reminds me that I have to get some Kenyian shillings today -check out posts from my last visit two years ago including "About Kenya". Your thoughts and well wishes for a safe journey and return home to my family are appreciated.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We at BethanyKids are so grateful for the support we receive from all of you. Words may not be enough to say thank you, but let the Lord who hears prayers bless each of you at St. Vincent. Many children are getting better courtesy of your contribution. Thank you again.

Francis
Bk Communications Asst.

Unknown said...

Cool! That is a LOT of stuff in those bags. I am very glad that all of the kids enjoyed the things we sent! :D

Sincerely,
Ryan White - Ms. Besser's Class