Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walking With Mercy Today

I remember when I first visited two years ago, I was overcome by emotion walking through the halls and visiting rooms. Mothers and fathers wearing pink hospital robes sharing small single beds with their children was almost too much for me to handle emotionally. I remember pausing in the hallway with Dr. Patey who was also visiting for the first time as we looked at each other as tears welled up in our eyes. The children were in such need - swollen heads from hydrocephalus, conflict and accident wounds, and post-op scars from spina bifida. I was an outsider walking through for the first time and felt like an intrusion into the most difficult time in their lives. When I engaged in conversation, listened to their remarkable stories of courage and hope that brought them to the hospital, I lost that initial snese of intrusion as I connected with them personally.

It was different walking into the hospital again today. the needs are so obvious and ever-present. There appear to be more beds squeezed into rooms and in the hallways as there were last time - something I did not think was possible. Mercy told me today that the planned expansion of the hospital will increase the capacity from 65 beds to just over 100, but she confided that the number was not near enough. There are always occupied beds, filled rooms, and cots in the hallways.

I was so encouraged by the hope and optimism of the mothers and fathers for their children the last time I was here as they recognized the challenges their children were facing, but knew they were in the right place at Bethany where they would recieve the care they need. Today I was able to witness both ends of the emotional spectrum from fear and despair to hope and optimism. The first was when I visited two infants and their parents today - one born last Thursday and the other born on Friday - not even a week old. The children were the first borns to both parents. The six day old girl had stiches all the way up her spine from surgery to repair spina bifida at two sites on her back - something I have come to understand is very rare. Her young mother (pictured holding her daughter wearing the red bandana) was terrified. The five day old was also recovering from spina bifida surgery and was being held by his father (pictured in the photo here as well) as his mother was also recovering from surgery. They are Masi and had travelled to Kijabe for their son. The father held his boy, looked up with tears in his eyes and asked Mercy in Swahili if everything was going to be alright, and if he was going to develop hydrocephalus as well. Mercy did her best to reassure him. As a parent I know what it is like to worry about whether your child is going to be ok but not in such a difficult and helpless situation. We started talking about being a parent for the first time. They asked about my family and I showed them pictures of Sarah and Fiona on my camera. We talked about how every child is a blessing and how fortunate they are to be blessed with theirs. They are where they are supposed to be at Bethany. The early intervention with their surgeries will likely mean a positive prognosis for the future for them. I would not say they were filled with hope or optimism yet as they went from the joy of welcoming their child in to the world last week to terro and worry because of their illness to getting them into the hospital in a few short days. It was too early for optimism, but as their children recover, they will hopefully be encouraged for the future. We shook hands and I told them I would see them again on Friday.


The other end of the spectrum was when Mercy and I went into another room filled with ten beds, mothers, fathers, children and a grandfather. Everyone wanted a photograph taken! I took some shots and taught one curious young many how to use the camera. I included his shot in these photos - his is the one looking at the end of the bed at Mercy. Mercy led prayer int he room and they sang about putting their faith in God. I wished I had my camera with the video recorder like I had the last time to record the amazing singing. I will be back with Mercy again on Friday and will not forget the video camera that time. I hope to be able to record another singing session in the ward as it was so uplifting and encouraging. I tried to load a video onto the blog last time without success, but I will try again on Friday. If I am unsuccessful again (Safaricom - the local internet provider - is not the most reliable...) I will be sure to share it with you when I get back to school. Please forgive the odd typo in these blogs as well - I'm writing them as quickly as I can to not get bumped off the internet mid-blog.
I also included a photograph of the crayons some of the students were using in recovery. I'm sure you all remember my story from my last visit of the crayons being broken and not having any green ones left. That was two years ago and while there are some green ones evident in the photo this time, you also see that the need continues. I was not able to bring the bags down with me today but look forward to doing so on Friday. I also look forward to sharing Mercy's reaction with you as well!
I'm off to Joytown on Thursday to see what is happening there. When I'm back at Bethany on Friday I'll be in the new operating rooms and will get a chance to visit the hydrocephalus ward was well which I didn't get a chance to today. So much more to tell...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

CaryBeck said...

Dear Mr. Browne,
All is well at St.Vincent school, and we were amazed by your stories of the children and their parents at Bethany hospital. Your writing made us realize how very lucky we are here in Canada, to be able to have good health care when we need it. We are glad you were able to cheer some of the children up. Please let them know we hope they get well soon and that we are praying for them. We were very impressed by your photos and especially the one of Mercy taken by the boy. We look forward to reading about your visit to Joytown tomorrow. Take care for now and God bless you and everyone at Bethany.
Mrs. Becker's grade 4/5 students :D

Mr. Browne said...

Thanks Mrs. Becker's Class! I appreciate your comments and am glad you are enjoying the blog and connecting with what is happening here. I'm just home from a long day at Joytown. We left before 8am this morning and just got home now (it's about 4:45pm here in Kenya now). There are some amazing stories and photos to share from Joytown which I will post later. I hope you all have a great day at school today.
Mr. Browne