Friday, November 5, 2010

Students at Joytown


I really enjoyed the chance to interact with the students at Joytown during my visit and thought our students at St. Vincent would be interested in some photographs of some of the students I met while I was there as well as some photos of what their classrooms look like at the moment.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, the school year begins in January here and it runs until the end of November, early December. The Grade 8 students at Joytown are busy preparing for the national exams that all students have to write at the end of Gr. 8. These are standardized national tests - much like our Gr. 3 and 6 provincial testing - that all students participate in. How well the students perform on these exams determines what their choices for secondary education may be.

Joseph is doing a "wheelie" in his wheelchair for me. He was wheeling up and down the corridors having a great time. His balance was amazing!

There are more photos inside classrooms. The first is in a Gr. 4 class. I joined them for some of their science lesson and enjoyed the chance to speak with them about their lessons and how they like school.

The outdoor photograph is of the students getting ready to line up for lunch in the mess hall. They all congregate outside when the lunch bell rings and come together to eat over the noon hour. I will post more photos from inside the school but I hope this glimpse gives you an impression of Joytown and the students who attend.

There are three Joytown-related posts today so read on...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: