Friday, November 5, 2010

Joytown Continued...


I have so many pictures on my camera from my time at Joytown and look forward to sharing many of them with you when I return, but for now, I'm limited to four at a time on the blog. So, here are some more shots of the library with students in it - taking out books to read and utilizing the new space. The books on the shelf are a good start, but more will be required. I will be bringing many of the books you sent over with me to the library when I go back on Monday.

There was a boy we met when we were at Joytown who was struggling to walk with his walker. Dr. Bransford stopped him and did an examination on the spot. The boy has cerebral palsy and Dr. Bransford wanted to improve his posture and ultimately assist him with his walking by straightening the leg even more and setting it in a cast as you can see in the photo. That, however, is not the reason why I decided to post the photos.


I wrote about some of the changes that were evident since my last visit including the library (pictured here) and the increase of in therapists from none to five plus assistants and counselors. Another noticable difference since my last visit and since Bethany Kids have become involved in this school is the palpable optimism in the staff. The assistants and therapists who are working with the children here so obviously love what they do and care deeply for the children in their care.

After Dr. Bransford set the casts on the boy's leg, he made sure everything was alright and left the room with some others. I lingered for a while checking a few things out. I then looked over at one of the therapists as she was writing "I Love You" with a green marker on his cast. She read it to him as she pointed at her heart first and then at him. It was such an amazing moment.

I remember, as I'm sure you do too, the children from my last visit who I often found on their own. This time, I saw children with the same incredible needs and challenges, but I also witnessed an attitude of love, compassion, and care from the staff. The intervention of Bethany Kids here at Joytown has started to make an impact on the physical space and buildings, but there is much, much more work to be done in that regard. Perhaps more importantly, the impact on the care and the culture was even more incredible to behold. There's so much more to do, but it is gratifying to know inroads are being made. Thanks so much for your support in this regard at home!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: